"Filipino food is a fusion of different flavours which evolves through various influences like Spanish, American, Chinese and other Asian countries. As we adapted and concocted these dishes it has created diverse flavours that are uniquely Filipino seasoned and spiced by our rich culture".

Friday, June 24, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu

I remember during college days, this was one of my favorite meal in Graceland restaurant (one of our local restaurants in Naga City) with vegetable salad on the side. I thought then that it was a difficult dish to make since it sounds so french, but I have read later it is relatively an american dish.
There are several variations in preparing Cordon Bleu, but all of which would always have the three main ingredients: chicken, ham and cheese. And this can either be fried or baked. I chose to bake it this time...
My daughter loved it and even asked me to make this next time for her packed lunch.  Here's my recipe...Enjoy!





Chicken Cordon Bleu

Ingredients:

4 pcs chicken breast, boneless and skinless
4 pcs ham
4 slices cheddar cheese, (and I sliced it into sticks)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground peppercorn
1/2 cup bread crumbs - add 1/8 tsp paprika and 1/8 tsp salt
1/2  cup flour
1 large egg, beaten
butter, cubed into 8 small pieces (optional)


Procedure:

  • Pre-heat oven into 180°C
  • Gently pound the chicken breast into 1/4 thickness using a meat mallet.
  • Season the chicken meat - sprinkle salt and ground pepper on both sides.
  • Place 1 ham and 2 cheese sticks on top of each breast (but I prefer putting on another 2 cheese sticks! i love cheese!) Roll up each breast an secure with a toothpick. 
  • Dredge in flour. Then brush with beaten eggs. Then finally roll in bread crumbs mixture.
  • Brush the baking pan with olive oil, then place the chicken rolls.
  • Bake for about 20 minutes. Then layer each rolls with butter cubes. Let the butter melts on its top, the roll will absorb its flavor and will give a really nice smell.
  • Bake for another 15 minutes.
  • You may serve this your favorite sauce.
  • This makes 4 servings. Enjoy!

This post is linked to:  Food Trip Friday , Foodista , Petit Chef , Fresh Food Friday

16 comments:

Luna Miranda said... Reply To This Comment

your cordon bleu looks divine--crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside. this is one of my favorite chicken dishes, but haven't tried doing it myself.

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks Luna Miranda! You must really try it... glad I did it right that's why my daughter loves it.

Jay said... Reply To This Comment

sounds amazing..cant wait to give it a try..
chanced upon your space while blog hopping..
lovely space you have..very interesting recipes..
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

Thank you Jay! glad you liked my recipes. Pls do give it a try and give me some feedbacks on the outcome. I've just visited your site... such a nice space! Im now your newest follower.
Happy blogging!

Vhen said... Reply To This Comment

wow sarap! sana matuto ako magluto ng ganyan..

happy FTF!

http://vhen.blogspot.com/2011/06/ftf-beef-broccoli.html

see yah!

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks Vhen!
just vivited your site. Happy blogging!

Tina (PinayInTexas) said... Reply To This Comment

Ohhhh, I love Chicken Cordon Bleu...we even had it as part of our wedding menu!

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Tina! THis is a favorite of mine too. Classic and simple pero masarap. Thanks for dropping by..

Roz from 'la bella vita' said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Lomi!!!! I am so glad that you found my blog and now following! I am now following you back! I love the beauty of your blog and am excited to learn more about Fillipino cuisine. I would love to visit someday, but I've only been lucky enough to simply fly low over your country on a return flight from Asia. I am looking forward to all of your recipes such as this delicious Chicken Cordon Bleu! YUM!

♥FoodTripFriday♥ said... Reply To This Comment

Chicken Cordon Blue for me have a fancy name,but the taste says otherwise.

Mars @ The Food Encounters said... Reply To This Comment

This was also one of my favorites when I was still in college! I think I'm going to make this one next week! I'll try to marinate the chicken first before rolling it. I'll see if it would taste better. ;)

Doing my hop from this week's FTF! Here's mine:

Breakfast for Dinner at The Food Encounters.

PINOY KITCHENETTE said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks for dropping by Food Trip Friday and Mars.
Have a nice weekend!

Shobha said... Reply To This Comment

This chicken looks awesome!
I will definitely try it out soon.

Joy Calipes-Felizardo said... Reply To This Comment

This dish have caught my attention for years already, I never had a recipe of his, but I have tasted several, from different restaurants and events, now I have a recipe, tnx to you! Will be following you from now on, hope you follow me to... :D
www.joyshumblekitchen.blogspot.com (for my recipes)
www.gastronomybyjoy.com (Food and resto reviews)

vanessa sadural said... Reply To This Comment

Hi I would really love to try ur recipe of cordon bleu but instead I will have to fry it kasi sira yung oven, so dapat po ba libong sa mantika?low heat? I would really love to hear from you soon, thanks in advance!

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@vanessa sadural
Hi vanessa! you can also cook this in microwave oven, in case you have one.
If none, yes, ,you can deep fry it, to make sure that the insides will be cooked. In deep frying, just make sure that the oil is well heated, para di mag absorb ng sobrang oil ang niluluto. then as usual, when you remove it from the pan or deep fryer, lagay mo sa paper towel or napkins, to remove excess oil.... hope this helps! Happy holidays!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love to hear your comments...

Twitter Facebook Pinterest More