"Filipino food is a fusion of different flavours which evolves through various influences like Spanish, American, Chinese and other Asian countries. As we adapted and concocted these dishes it has created diverse flavours that are uniquely Filipino seasoned and spiced by our rich culture".

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Champorado

I woke up this rainy morning with the sweet chocolatey smell of Champorado, my mama's been stirring a big pot of it. Yes, you've read it right. It's a big pot! Well, my mom's used in cooking whatever-it-is in big batches, as if she's feeding an army, even if there's just 4 people in the house. I think it's a habit she'd had, when we still live in province where whenever you cook you share with the whole neighborhood, too. I think that's what most Filipinos are, generous and welcoming to everyone.

Oooh so chocolatey Champorado!

Champorado is a sweet chocolate rice porridge. Wherein sticky rice is boiled with cocoa powder or tablea (blocks of cocoa powder). I love pouring more milk into it.
Most of Filipinos would pair champorado with tuyo (dried fish). We just love pairing the sweet with salty :)
We have such a piquant taste for food.

Champorado at Tuyo


Good morning Foodies!


Sharing this post to:  eRecipecardsWeekday Potluck ,  Food Friday , 
                  Spicey Weekend Hop , Yummy Sunday

Visit other Weekday Potluck contributors food entry:
 Sassy Chef Recipes and Reviews , The Twerp and I , Picture Clusters
 Kat in the KitchenMy Bric-a-Brac


10 comments:

[pinkc00kies] said... Reply To This Comment

I like champorado with lots of milk & i like it straight from the fridge :) hehe. i don't eat tuyo nga lang.

ping said... Reply To This Comment

This is very unusual to me ... salted fish with chocolate! I suppose it's almost like having bacon brownies or bacon ice cream :D Very interesting indeed!

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@ping
Hi Ping! that's very unusual indeed.
but it's a Filipino favorite.

Tania B said... Reply To This Comment

Hmmm. Not sure how that would go over in my house, lol. Hubs might throw a tantrum. I'm a new follower from the Weekend Hop at A Spicy Boy, A Cat, and My Fat Ass. Please follow me back and feel free to drop by Horseshoes anytime.

http://contestsformoi.blogspot.com/
Tania

maiylah said... Reply To This Comment

that's how we eat our champorado, too....with lots of milk and tuyo! yummmy! have also been introducing the same thing to my sons...the eldest isn't so much into eating tuyo, but the youngest loves it! :)

thanks so much for sharing this over at Food Friday
enjoy the rest of the week! :)

Rug Cleaning Los Angeles said... Reply To This Comment

This looks delicious! I have never heard of it but I think I need to try it!

loveablecassandra said... Reply To This Comment

Missing this champorado so badly:(

visiting from YS/ http://www.loveablecassandra.com/2011/08/yummy-sunday-105-sugar-coated-banana.html

hope you can visit my corner too..

wifetoalineman02 said... Reply To This Comment

yum...am drooling, it has been awhile since I last eat champorado, visiting from YS, hope you can visit me here too
http://www.tropical7107islands.com/2011/08/yummy-sunday-my-kid%E2%80%99s-favorite-meal-for-breakfast.html

Cheerful said... Reply To This Comment

champorado at tuyo, sarap...kakamiss at perfect in rainy morning! visiting late from last week's YS, have a great week. :)

Rosita Vargas said... Reply To This Comment

Wow looks absolutely tempting,I love soup, hugs.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love to hear your comments...

Twitter Facebook Pinterest More