"Filipino food is a fusion of different flavours which evolves through various influences like Spanish, American, Chinese and other Asian countries. As we adapted and concocted these dishes it has created diverse flavours that are uniquely Filipino seasoned and spiced by our rich culture".

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Beef Sinigang (Beef in Sour Soup)

Beef Sinigang

I love it best when I have some beef ribs for my beef sinigang. The soup's more tasty with some ribs on it. And everyone in the family gets to pick what veggies they want to include for sinigang. I personally like it with lots of sigarilyas (winged beans), my mom with her fave sitaw (string beans), Bee with his slices of labanos (raddish), Joy with her okra. And for my Pia, she likes it with cupfuls of sour soup. 
I remember this was one of my dad's fave soup dish too. We're the ones who usually eat the fatty meat parts then dip it with fish sauce with red chilis. Sarap! But now, we'd like to keep it on the healthy side, so we are skipping the beef fat.

Ingredients:

Beef Sinigang
1/3 kilo beef ribs
1/4 kilo beef chunks (lean meat)
1 med sized labanos, peeled and sliced
2 pcs med.sized gabi (taro), peeled and sliced
a bunch of kangkong (about 2 cups)
a bunch of sigarilyas (about 10 pcs)
a bunch of sitaw (about 10 strings)
3 ripe tomatoes, chunked
2 sibuyas tagalog 
3 siling haba
instant tamarind mix powder (best if you have some fresh tamarind to be used for seasoning)
fish sauce
about a liter of water


Procedure:
  • In a big pot, let water boil, the drop the beef chunkss and ribs.Cover. Let it cook for about an hour or until the meat gets really tender. Add more water if needed.
  • When meat is tender, add gabi. cover and cook for about 5 minutes, then add labanos, tomatoes and onions. Let cook for about 3-5 minutes. Season with tamarind powder mix and fish sauce. I like it really sour...
  • Add siling haba, okra, sigarilyas and sitaw. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. We like the green veggies crisp so do not overcook.
  • Add kangkong before putting off the fire.
  • Serve hot!

This post is linked to :  eRecipecards






2 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

This recipe is really good! My husband and I loved the sinigang and will definitely make it again. I used limes instead of fresh tamarind [ Its not available in NZ]. I didn't use the mix coz my husband gets a headache everytime he eats anything with MSG. Limes did the job anyway! Thank you for the recipe!

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@Anonymous
thanks! and im glad you liked the recipe. You must really skip the instant mix, as i do nowadays.the msg in it can really trigger headache.my doctor has adviced me to skip on it too coz of frequent migraine attacks.
Im impressed with your tamarind substitute- lime. Hmn.now i wanted to try it out too.
Cheers to delicious and healthy cooking!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love to hear your comments...

Twitter Facebook Pinterest More