"Filipino food is a fusion of different flavours which evolves through various influences like Spanish, American, Chinese and other Asian countries. As we adapted and concocted these dishes it has created diverse flavours that are uniquely Filipino seasoned and spiced by our rich culture".

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Filipino Beef Morcon

Fiesta Celebration is a big part of our Filipino culture. Each city or town and region  has its own festival in honor of a patron saint. It could be a one day or even a week of festive celebrations which include processions, colorful parades, street dance and parties, beauty pageants and a long table of food!

For this month of May Kulinarya theme ~ Elizabeth Ann and Dudut tasked us to prepare a dish which is a local favorite in our own town served during fiestas.

One dish I remember my dad used to make was Beef Morcon. I never bothered to learn how he made his Beef Morcon, back then all I know was just to eat ( lol! ). But anyway, my version turned out to be fine, I guess ~ coz I could hear them uttering "yum!" in every bite.

Morcon is a beef roll stuffed with sausages, hotdogs (more preferred by pinoys!), eggs, pickles or anything you want to stuffed in. A roll is usually secured with a string, then simmered in a flavorful sauce to cook.


Filipino Beef Morcon


Beef Morcon

Ingredients:


700g beef sirloin (sliced about 1/4 inch thick, you may request the butcher to do this for you)
4-6 pcs hotdogs
2 hard boiled eggs, quartered each
2-4 whole pickles
4 carrot sticks
cheese slices (sticks)
200g tomato sauce
85g liver spread (1 small can)
1/2 cup grated cheese
beef broth (or beef cube dissolved in about 500ml of water)
1/2 cup crushed pineapple - for a twist!
2 bay leaves
ground peppercorn , to taste
2 tbsp oil

marinade:
2 tbsp calamansi juice
1.5 tbsp soy sauce

Procedure:

  • Marinate beef with calamansi and soysauce at least 2 hrs.
  • Remove beef from marinade. Place the meat in a flat surface, then layer the stuffings - hotdogs,carrots,eggs and pickles in one side, roll the meat once, then layer with cheese sticks, then roll. Secure the meat with a string.  I made two rolls with the ingredients above, if you want a bigger and thicker rolls, you can make just one beef roll instead, or use about a kilo of beef (I used only 750g).
  • Heat the oil in a pan. Brown the beef roll. Set aside. 
  • In the same pan, add the tomato sauce, liver spread, crushed pineapple. Let boil. then add the broth and bay leaves. Let boil, then add the beef rolls, grated cheese and peppercorn. Cover and simmer for 1 to 2 hrs. I did not add salt since the cheese gave enough flavor. No need for cornstarch since the sauce is thick already. Reduce the sauce as preferred.
  • When cooked, remove the rolls from the pan. Let it rest for about 5 minutes, remove strings then slice. Serve in a plate with the sauce. Garnish.
  • Enjoy!

This post is linked to :  eRecipecards ,  Food Trip FridayFood Friday









21 comments:

♥FoodTripFriday♥ said... Reply To This Comment

ohlala!!this one I like so much!!!yum-O!!!

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen said... Reply To This Comment

I love Beef Morcon and it always means the event is special when they serve it at the table. I like your addition of pineapple. That gives it a sweet twist! Must try. Thanks for participating in our KCC May event & thanks for visiting my blog, too. Mabuhay!

Iska said... Reply To This Comment

I love morcon and it's been ages since I've cooked this. It's the tying that's keeping me from doing it hahaha! This post just inspire me to do it again. YUM.

chefbyday said... Reply To This Comment

One of my grandmother's specialty during fiesta season !!! =) yum yum !

i♥pinkc00kies said... Reply To This Comment

sarap... :)

wok with ray said... Reply To This Comment

Oh yes. What is fiesta without Morcon. It is the pride of most may-bahay. Your morcon is a a true-classic representation of Filipino treasure dish. Good job, Marge! Thank you and I'm so glad to cook with you on this Kulinarya challenge.

Marie said... Reply To This Comment

I used to make and cook morcon with my mom, though I haven't tried cooking it myself...will try your recipe, thanks for sharing!

Joy Calipes-Felizardo said... Reply To This Comment

My mom never cooked this though, but I'm sure we can learn cooking this together, when she visits us here from Milan. Thanks for sharing!

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@♥FoodTripFriday♥

Glad you liked it FTF! Thanks!

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@Elizabeth @Mango_Queen

Thanks! I love anything pineapple :) so I'd squeeze it in every dish whenever I have a chance.

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@Iska
Yeah me too :) not so much fond of the tying. I had it a bit loose here, kaya the meat roll was not so siksik :) I guess more practice next time :)

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@chefbyday
Thanks! and you're right this dish is present to almost every fiestas.

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@wok with ray
Thanks Ray! I just wish I could do exactly what my dad used to make ~ his version was really soooo good!

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@i♥pinkc00kies
Thanks!

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@Marie
THis is so easy to make - except the tying part haha! more practice for me :)

Pinoy Kitchenette said... Reply To This Comment

@Joy Calipes-Felizardo
Thanks Joy! This is a classic pinoy food you really have to try to cook.

Jessica Cassidy said... Reply To This Comment

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beef moron looks so delish :-) Thank you for the recipe too :-) Dropping by from Food Trip Friday

♥FoodTripFriday♥ said... Reply To This Comment

Grabeh ito! Super Sarap,kaso ang hirap din gawin,matrabaho,magaling lang kasi ako sa kainan! lol!

cheerful said... Reply To This Comment

wow, beautifully prepared...how i wish i can make that kaso hindi ako marunong. it really looks so delicious! visiting late from FTF, hope to see you around. thanks and have a great week. :)

maiylah said... Reply To This Comment

lovely presentation! i haven't tried cooking beef morcon myself, but my sister likes making it for us (and we love to chow it down with rice! lol)...yummmy!

thanks so much for sharing your recipe and linking over at Food Friday! :)

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

Enjoy reading it. Founded off modern research,
Garcinia is needed across the globe as a slimming pill
for people being affected by some kind of excess weight.
Is from a pure supply and does not incorporate harmful substances, additives or poisons that may
hurt the human body. By filled with hydroxycitric acid, the following
could be a excessive fat blocker, which is vital to
weight loss. Forskolin success stories allows individuals to curb their own appetites and trim down sugars or desserts desire.
You can forget running towards the kitchen any 15 minutes
to have a munch. By the way, the authentic Garcinia Cambogiawill help to equalize the amount of a human being anxiety hormones.

This can help to stop likely mental binge eating,
which can be among the list of cause factors for extra weight.


My site - forskolin for weight loss

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love to hear your comments...

Twitter Facebook Pinterest More